"Most great stories of adventure, from The Hobbit to The Seven Pillars of Wisdom come furnished with a map. That's because every story of adventure is in part the story of a landscape, of the interrelationship between human beings (or Hobbits, as the case may be) and topography. Every adventure story is conceivable only with reference to a particular set of geographical features that in each case sets the course, literally, of the tale."-Michael Chabon

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Extra Credit

I have never before offered extra credit. However last class period's discussion prompted some interesting questions about food, pesticides, and conventional agriculture. These things are all huge issues and because I teach English and not food science, I feel unqualified to comment on them and self conscious about offering information or input that some of you may consider political.

When I was in college and I wanted more information about a controversial issue I often turned to a television/radio show called "Intelligence Squared"--a traditional Oxford-style debate, with one side proposing and the other side opposing a sharply-framed motion. As a college student, I found hearing the best arguments from both sides helped me attain more information and oftentimes come to an informed conclusion. Because I think both knowing about an issue and understanding the argumentative rhetoric used to support or defend a statement is important I'm offering the following extra credit option:

If you:

1-Watch the Intelligence Squared debate on organic food (it's a little over an hour and a half long) (http://intelligencesquaredus.org/index.php/past-debates/organic-food-is-marketing-hype)
2-Write a one page (typed) response which details whose argument you found compelling and analyzes why that argument worked on a rhetorical level (Review your rhetorical devices handout and use that to help you in your short analysis of the debater's language: Did he or she use ethos, logos, pathos? How did he or she use rhetoric to appeal to the audience and to you?)
3-Present your paper to the class next Tuesday

and I will give you half a grade boost on your last paper (i.e. if you got a B on your last paper I will move your paper grade to a B+.)

Again, here's the link to the show: http://intelligencesquaredus.org/index.php/past-debates/organic-food-is-marketing-hype

Please let me know if you plan on doing this assignment so I can plan class time for presentations. Good luck--let me know if you have any questions.

All best,

Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment